Worn cam jornal

James@ringsperformance.com James@ringsperformance.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:41:57 -0600

In a few heads (NA and turbo) I've pulled drill burrs/chips out of that, an=
d only that, rear hole.

Such burrs could cause maybe one of two problems:
--Reduced oil flow causes bearing (cam or head) wear
--Oil pressure pushes the burrs against the cam, and the burrs cut the bear=
ing (cam only)

Note that the factory cams in these 100k+ heads showed no wear on any journ=
al, even with the burrs.

Naturally, YMMV.

cu, James Marriott
'87 4kq (alias "late-B2 90q") with rare ersatz NG engine, 184k, being resto=
red from rear-end total loss
'89 200q (MC1, ProconTen/no bag, 1.8 blah blah), 151k, already been un-tota=
Boise, ID, USA     http://www.webpak.net/~marriott/

----- Original Message -----
From: <JShadzi@aol.com>
To: <DGraber460@aol.com>; <jeg1976@yahoo.com>
Cc: <quattro@audifans.com>; <urq@audifans.com>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: Worn cam jornal

Jim, these get pretty buggered up over the years, I think you'll be ok, I w=
ouldn't worry about it unless you actually notice a problem.

>The responses I've seen up to now say the head is not repairable. I don't =
know for sure, I just read that the cam journals are line bored, and not "r=
>Funny thing, I found the same thing when I put a big valve cam in my car (=
URQ WX). The rear most cam journal was grooved and worrisome. I smothed it =
out with various pads, and put it together, thinking what have I got to los=
e=2E So far no problem, but I don't think I would take the car cross countr=