A really silly, but serious, request

Dave Hord spokes@the-wire.com
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:19:29 -0400

I have one that should build some chuckles here.

Does anyone have an 80/90, 80/90q, 4k, 4kq, CGT with the engine removed?

I need you to take some measurements.

Basically what I'm looking for is the following:

Distance from rad-support to firewall.
Distance from top of subframe to bottom of hood
Width of engine compartment.  -> This measurement may require a few different
locations...I suspect the engine bay is wide near the firewall, shrinks around
the front wheels and then widens again in front of the wheels.

I essentially want to know the rough measurements of the engine compartment, so
that I can determine whether a particular engine/tranny combination might fit
in the 80/90q or the 4kq platform.  I suspect if it fits in one, it's going to
fit in the other.

I guess I'd also need to know the measurement from the front edge of the 5spd
Audi tranny bellhousing to the firewall.  Is the bellhousing in front, or
behind the firewall?

86 4ksq 266,600km new to me as of March 5th 2003... will it stick around??
89 90q  330,000km as of Feb 26th.
Rally Conversion...perpetually in progress...
Roll cage shots available at: