will 1988 90q front suspension fit 1985 4000q

Huw Powell audi at humanspeakers.com
Tue Apr 20 00:31:17 EDT 2004

> My daily drive, 1985 4kq, needs a front wheel bearing, needs front
> control arm bushings and now the right front CV joint is popping
> during turns. I have the complete front suspension off a 1988 90q
> including brakes. I was thinking I could just do the bearings and
> bushings and clean and repack the CV's and then install it all on my
> 4kq. I think I would have to switch the springs and since my 4kq has
> almost new Boge Turbo gas shock I would change those over as well. My
> concern is whether the inner CV joints will bolt up to my trans and
> if the axle length is OK.

Well, I'm not sure about all the parts, but I'll try to tell you what I
know should work and what I worry won't.

Control arms are the same, and I think the subframe is and sway bar
might be, too.  Sway bar might be heavier.

The earlier 80Q's used what appear to be the same strut housings, but I
don't know if the hub is the same - ie, if the splines are the same on
the CV joint.  Later 80/90Q's use a hub bolt instead of a hub nut, so
they are quite different.

> It would save me some down time if I could rebuild all the 90q
> suspension and then install it latter.

I think the best thing would be to spend some time with the family album
(and test fitting/measuring what you can) to see what is the same.

Even if the axles won't work, you may be able to use that outer cv joint
if you're lucky.

Huw Powell