new to Audi, new to the list

Drew MacPherson drew at
Fri Feb 27 14:42:51 EST 2004

Heh heh.  This, at least, is not an issue.  The car needs a head gasket,
and so will get a new timing belt and idler,  water pump etc. at that

I expect I will be fabricating the locking tool, but I'll be darned if I
can't find a good description of what it looks like or how it is used.
Does the Bentley have more details on the use of this tool than just (use
special tool xxxx to lock the crankshaft in place?)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Dan Cordon wrote:

> One more thing to may want to check service records for
> when the timing belt was done last. These are interference engines, so
> if that goes, you're damaging lots of parts. Most places sell all the TB
> parts for $150. And if you're near a friendly lister, they may have the
> crank tool you'll need to pull the front balancer. Or Blau rents them if
> you buy the kit from them.

84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
99 A3 Jetta TDI