Audi dependability study

Ingo Rautenberg IRautenberg at
Tue Jan 6 23:18:59 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Payne" <audi at>
To: "Audi Quattro Uberlist" <quattro at>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: Audi dependability study

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Jason Eisenmenger wrote:
> >
> How is this a dependability study?  It's J.D. Power & Associates' schedule
> of reported complaints (in total) of cars within the CSI guidelines but
> after the initial 14 days of ownership.  These complaints are everything
> the owner wants the maker to pay to repair or modify.

I think you mistook Jason's link (easy to do) with JD Power's initial
quality survey. From their own website:

What do IQS, APEAL, CSI, VDS stand for?

These are acronyms for J.D. Power and Associates automotive studies that
provide the data used on this site.
      .  Initial Quality Study (IQS) - measures vehicle initial quality
after the first 90 days of ownership. Often referred to as "things gone

      .  Automotive Performance, Execution And Layout Study (APEAL) -
measures the features that new-vehicle owners like and dislike about their
vehicles. Often referred to as "things gone right."

      .  Customer Service Index (CSI) - this study measures owner
satisfaction with the vehicle service experience after one year of

      .  Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) - this study measures owner
satisfaction after three years of ownership.

-Ingo (never bought new car)
'91 200q20v...Slightly modified
'84 Urquattro
'91 v8q 5-speed w/ lots of mods :-)