[urq] Commercial &?

Brett Dikeman brett at cloud9.net
Sat Jul 24 13:48:57 EDT 2004

At 10:18 AM -0600 7/24/04, Ed Kellock wrote:

>  20 years ago, I'd
>be agog, but alas, VW was far too late in fleshing out the GTI line.
>Sadly (not!) I was already thoroughly engaged in things Audi by the
>time they really impressed me again with a GTI.

Top Gear did a quarter-mile comparison between all the current
european "hot hatches"- with a twist.  The lineup included the
original VW Rabbit GTI.

It licked the -entire- field, including the new GTI.  How pathetic is that?

Of course, then Renault went slightly mad and released the
mid-engined Clio V6(I don't care that it's French, I don't care that
it's RWD, I -want one-, it looks like a new 5 Turbo)...then Alfa
Romeo went completely bonkers (well, okay, not AR but Autodelta) and
stuffed 325hp into the 147 by boring out the V6 to 3.7l.