Advice for Pothole Claim in Massachusetts?

David duandcc_forums at
Thu Jun 17 16:42:20 EDT 2004

From: <keithbedard at>
Date: 2004/06/17 Thu PM 04:37:12 EDT
To: <quattro at>
Subject: Advice for Pothole Claim in Massachusetts?

Greetings Audiholics,

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to putting on my summer wheels
which are Porsche "Cup" alloys machined to a 45mm offset. They are about two
years old, and I clean them every weekend. They look beautiful, which is
probably the reason why after only two days of them on the car, I managed to
nail the biggest pothole this side of the Mississippi, which is in the Fort
Devens area in central Massachusetts on an on-ramp to Route 2 West. This was
the mothership, and as I was hitting it, I thought for sure I would not only
bend one of my sacred rims, but also blow the nice new rubber, too. Rubber
survived, rim bent and doesn't feel to good (shakey, vibrating) when driving.

I am furious that such a large pothole was not maintained. I would like to
be compensated by someone (city, state?), but fear that it is a wild goose
chase, as I don't know who is liable.

Anyone have any advice or relevant info they could share?

Much obliged,
Keith Bedard
Westminster, MA
'95.5 S6 with one beautiful but crooked Porsche wheel

quattro mailing list
quattro at

If it was on a onramp or offramp you would report it to your department of transportation if on a city road, report it to the city and tell them you expect to be reimbursed for the damage. But, most states require that the pothold have been reported before and not fixed. If you are the first to report it, they usually won't pay out.

1987 CGT 2.3
SE Virginia