problems with ATE Power Discs?

Tessie McMillan tessmc at
Mon Mar 29 12:39:46 EST 2004

Some of you might recall I recently posted with tons of questions about
odd wheel noises in my '88 80Q, and alignment issues. The end of the story
is: I'm not so huge a fan of ATE Power Discs any more.

I had the front end of my car basically rebuilt after a track accident, in
sequence first from totally new wheel hub, wheel, suspension assembly, to
most recently having new rotors put on. I reported to you folks that I was
hearing squeaking wheels and I had wheel vibration even after a (somewhat
drawn-out) alignment which included measuring the subframe and confirming
it was true.

It turns out my less-than-a-month old Power Discs were warped. When my
mechanic had them machined to true them, the rotors both broke. He
couldn't get a satisfactory answer from ATE as to why this happened, so
instead of getting another set of Power Discs, he obtained a set of
cross-drilled Brembo rotors. No more vibrations, no more squeaky wheels.
The Brembos are quite beautiful.

Have any of you encountered problems with ATE Power Discs?

in Bellevue, WA USA
Det beror inte på vem du är; det beror bara på vad du gör.