URGENT: 10v head (NF) broken! What to do?

Jim Green jeg1976 at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 21:26:06 EDT 2004

--- Richard Hoffman <billzcat1 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
> I'm in a bit of a pickle.
> Building an NF motor, 2.3L 10v.   Head was rebuilt
> by a
> not-as-competant-as-I'd-like machinist but it was
> just a valve guides/stem
> seals/one angle valve job.  The cam has .020"
> runout.  New aftermarket
> lifters (from Rob at TPC). .005" milled as well.
> The problem: when torquing the cam caps down, the
> rear-most cam cap broke in
> half with a nice little *pop* and at the same time
> one stud broke the cam
> tower with 3 radial cracks. The cam was being
> torqued evenly across the head
> when it cracked, and it was still about 1/8" from
> being tight.  I've heard
> of cam caps cracking when they are finally torqued,
> but never so far from
> the head before.

Holly crap!  I've never seen that!  It sounds like the
cam caps were backwards when you put them on?  As far
as the head bolts, I hate those stupid things for this
exact reason.  They really should not be re-used once
torqued.  For under $100 you can get ARP head studs
from Summit and never have to worry again.  A line
bore can't be that much can it?  So you'd need a new
cap, head STUDS:), HG, and a line bore.

Now, everyone, buy some short shifters from Richard so
he can fix his car!  I have one and my car runs 12.7
quarters mile times, all thanks to the Billzcat short
shifter kit.  Ok, well, it had something to do with

Jim Green
'89 90tq
'89 80q

Do you Yahoo!?