Broken clutch rod?

David duandcc_forums at
Fri Sep 3 16:37:17 EDT 2004

> From: Louis-Alain_Richard at
> Date: 2004/09/03 Fri PM 04:21:01 EDT
> To: David <duandcc_forums at>
> CC: "Keith Lawyer" <LawyerKG at>,
> 	quattro at,
> 	quattro-bounces at
> Subject: Re: Re: Broken clutch rod?
> This rod is an integral part of the clutch master cylinder (857 721 401A);
> I guess someone who kept its old master cylinder can give you one. But I
> am sure even the dealer doesn't carry it. You are lucky though; the master
> is available through other channels than OEM. Here in Canada, OEM was
> 400CAN$ (I bought one... before discovering Audifans and its lists...) but
> identical good quality ATE master cylinder from a FLAPS is around 150CAN$.
> Regarding the reason it broke, I guess I know why.
> Your firewall is being pushed for too many years, so you had to adjust the
> rod further out to compensate and since it was only threaded by a few
> threads, then it broke after too many cycles. I guess your clutch is worn
> , so the pedal is hard to depress, accentuating the stress on the
> components. Remember, a good clutch is easier to depress than a Honda or a
> VW.
> Don't ask me how I know all this...
> Louis-Alain
> 83 Quattro with a new clutch, master, slave, bearing, ...

> Frankly, I'm not CERTAIN of anything. :( I don't see any obvious cracks
> around the master or slave cylinders. Would they be obvious? Since you've
> BTDT on replacing the it hard (for someone who doesn't do much
> wrenching)? Got the part number? Approximate cost?
> Dave
> 1987 Coupe GT Special Build 2.3
> All in SE VA
> quattro at

I've had the car for about 3 years, and have not adjsuted anything. The clutch is stiffer than the one in my former 98 Passat, but nothing compared to the HD clutch that was put in my 5+5 back when I was in HS (it used to cause my calf to twitch at long lights). Should the clutch be fairly heavy in a Coupe GT? Or very light? I don't see any obvious cracks or other signs of firewall problems. I took a closer pic: Thoughts?