S4 Buying Advise

Ti Kan ti at amb.org
Tue Mar 15 22:50:34 EST 2005

Jeff Babcock writes:
> Fellow Q-Heads,
> I have a friend who is looking at buying a 01 S4 with 58k miles. He ran
> the vin # at the dealer and found it was a one owner with most
> everything serviced at the dealer. Tiptronic (what kind of H.P. can this
> tranny safely handle?) T-Belt, water pump soon? How much?  Anything with
> this motor to watch out for? Thanks for all coments, suggestions>

Definitely timing belt and water pump very soon.  Hook up a VAG-COM
or Prodiag and check for codes, which would be telltale whether there
are anything amiss.  There is a list specific for this model at

The tiptronic transmission is fairly strong but I wouldn't go crazy with
big power mods.

Ti Kan
Vorsprung durch Technik