Used 4.2L A6's going cheap-what's up?

Lee Levitt lee at
Tue Mar 29 22:24:29 EST 2005

Mikea2769 at writes:
> Subject: Used 4.2L A6's going cheap-what's up?
> To: quattro at
> I've noticed many 2000-2001 A6 with the 4.2 V8 selling for
> $14-20,000, way below "book value".
> Were these problem models? Any info on weak points is
> appreciated, especially regarding the tiptronic.

You want a *real* deal, look at 2001 or 2002 S8s.

Hovering in the high $20s to $30K right now.

If you find a car still under manufacturer's warranty, run, don't walk, to and buy their 50K additional mileage warranty for
$2500 or so.

I've had their warranty on my 2002 A6 3.0 for almost a year and it's paid
for itself. Not a whimper from them either.

'02 A6 3.0 quattro avant
'96 A6 quattro avant