Type 44 Exhaust Flange Replacment.

Radek radek at istar.ca
Tue Aug 15 13:31:53 EDT 2006


You need a split flange, available at most auto parts stores or muffler 
shops.  The trick is to find one that will be the right size (don't trust 
the catalogues).  Also, some are made of sheet metal and rust quickly, some 
are made of cast iron and last longer.

I've gone through the same thing for my dearly departed 90Q this winter. 
Actually, I have a nearly new cast iron flange that might fit, contact me 
off list if interested.

91 V8Q 5-sp.

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:25:36 EDT
> From: Sonar465 at aol.com
> Subject: Type 44 Exhaust Flange Replacment?????
> To: quattro at audifans.com
> Message-ID: <329.a6a1163.32130930 at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> Good Day All,
> Well it has happened again. I have owned three Type 44's and now all three
> have suffered the exact same issue.  The flange that connects the exhaust 
> to
> the catalytic converter corrodes and lets go (on the exhaust side).  In 
> the
> past I had a good buddy that had a awesome set of tools and I was able to
> fashion and new , two piece, flange out of some steel sheet.  I have since 
> moved
> and no longer have access to all of his great tools.  I would rather  buy
> something off the shelf then have too ask a metal shop to make  something 
> up so I
> am wondering if anyone knows of a place that would have a  two piece
> replacement exhaust flange?
> Cheers,
> Jim
> '89 200q (open exhaust :-)

More information about the quattro mailing list