Gasket sealant?

Al S streichea001 at
Wed Jun 28 08:37:40 EDT 2006

I use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket #3 sealant liquid.
 "PermatexR Aviation Form-A-GasketR No. 3 Sealant" Napa #765-1210

Slow-drying, non-hardening brush-top sealant approved for use in aviation as
well as automotive applications. Temperature range -65?F to 400?F (-54?C to
204?C); resists gasoline, oil and grease.

Suggested Applications: Close-fitting machined surfaces, sealing hoses,
solid gaskets.

It can also be used on bolt threads that protrude into the water jacket.
It can be used alone, as the gasket between machined surfaces or added
insurance on gaskets themselves. I use sewing thread to hold a gasket that
is not installed flat, tied through a mounting hole, then cut and removed
after the assembly is loosely bolted up.
Isopropyl alcohol is used for cleanup.

For oil pans, valve covers, tranny pans use PermatexR Ultra BlackR Maximum
Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. It is sensor safe.
Not affiliated with Permatex, etc, etc....

-----Original Message-----
From: quattro-bounces at
[mailto:quattro-bounces at]On Behalf Of DGraber460 at
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:01 AM
To: s-car-list at
Cc: quattro at
Subject: Gasket sealant?

What is the collective list wisdom and consensus on using gasket sealants
when assembling an engine?
This is directed to a WX 10V, mainly concerning oil pan, and the front and
rear main seal carriers.
Use it (and which one/what type) or let the gaskets do their job  solo?
I am sick and tired of a messy engine bay, and now that it's out and
cleaned up I would like it to stay that way! At least for a  while.

quattro mailing list
quattro at
Watch this space for ads :)