Gasoline Smell

Max Hoepli mhoepli at
Mon May 8 20:13:14 EDT 2006

Hello all

1986 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro. there is a gas smell I detect when coming out of the car, strong on the left side of car. There is no gasoline dripping from car. Fuel consumption seems to be as usual. When car is hot engine needs to be cranked over 10-15 secs. Cranks over strongly. Then huffs and puffs and engine gains speed slowly while I hold gas pedal down. What could the problems be? Gas smell and hard starting when engine is hot may be unrelated.