Talking to an Audi rep, and Diesels in the US

Geraint Lloyd geraintlloyd_qc at
Mon May 15 11:43:51 EDT 2006

i don't remember this being an issue in europe, but i
probably wasn't
paying attention again.
maybe they replaced the sulphur with something equally
nice in order to
lose the sulphur.

Doyt W. Echelberger wrote:
> At 07:53 PM 5/12/2006, you wrote:
>> Where I'm not clear is what happens to the older
engines when they're
>> subjected to a diet of low sulfur diesel? Can you
imagine the havoc
>> that will be caused if the US's fleet of delivery
vehicles suddenly
>> come to a halt?
>> --
>> Sean [99 A6 2.8q]
>  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> The US diesel fuel industry 'reduced' the sulfur in
its fuel years ago, and
> it caused problems with the injector pumps. They
didn't go to the very low
> levels that are prescribed for September, but they
dropped it enough to
> ruin lots of injectors pumps.
> When used in earlier model US diesel imports (such
as the VW Rabbit and
> Jetta up into the 1990's)
> reduced-sulfur diesel caused serious wear to the
very expensive fuel
> injector pump......500 to 600 dollars to rebuild.
> The sulfur acts as a lubricant for the very close
tolerances inside the pump.
> We who drive such older cars dope our fuel with
additives that supply
> necessary lubricity....Stanadyne makes such an
additive, as well as many
> others manufacturers. Truckers also use the
lubricity additives.
> When the new very low sulfur fuels are the only
alternative, additives will
> be in far greater demand by the owners of these
older diesels. They will be
> paying for the fuel manufacturers to take out the
sulfur, and then paying
> the additive manufacturers to put it back in.
> I don't know about the late model US diesels, such
as the current
> generation of TDI by VW. They probably have injector
pumps that are made to
> run on reduced-sulfur fuel....but possibly not LOW
sulfur fuel.  Maybe the