Subject: Re: Quicker and dirtier fix

Rick Houck rhouck at
Tue Sep 12 23:08:42 EDT 2006

I didn't see anyone mention my 5 minute tie-wrap fix, so here it is:

A couple of years ago, I fixed the broken hood release guides on my A6 by
using tie-wraps through the bolt holes, capturing the cable in the loop, and
pulling lightly for a loose loop. I have not had a problem since, and don't
expect to.

I doubt you will wear out the nylon material as the cable pulls are only
occasional. Heck, you could replace them every year if you wanted, and it
would take only a set of cutters to remove the old ones. Hope this helps