4kq acceleration issue

SJ syljay at optonline.net
Tue Feb 13 14:25:58 EST 2007

Adding to Ben's list of probable causes.

Lean mix:
Fuel Injector seals
Testing: bendable copper tubing attached to hose which is attached to
propane tank.
With engine idling, move the copper tube in and around all vacuum leak
sources, including in and around the injectors. When you hit the leak, the
idle will change.
Injector seals are rubber O-rings. These can and do dry out, become brittle
over time and result in leaks . .sometimes only under cold/hot conditions.
OK when hot, leak when cold.

Another method of detecting the leak is to watch the O2 sensor voltage.
Disconnect the oxygen sensor from the harness. The engine is now running on
mechanical fuel mixture inputs only.
Also disconnect the DFP connector so the computer cannot correct the
Use a sensitive DVM on the disconnected oxygen sensor lead.
Use propane as outlined above to do the leak testing. When you hit a leak,
the O2 sensor reading will change along with a change in idle speed.

High Idle, intermittant:
Sticking throttle body plates. This area gets gummed up over time, and the
plates will stick. If its warm, plates will close. If its cold, the gummy
sludge wont be soft enough to give and the plates wont close.
Remove throttle body and clean thoroughly. Put in new gasket when replacing.

O2 Sensor test:
With engine warmed up:
Pull back insulator from O2 sensor connector.
Attach DVM
Voltage will be swinging back and forth centered around 0.7 volts if the
sensor is OK.

85 Dodge PU, D-250, 318, auto
85 Audi 4k - - sold but still on the road
88 Audi 5kq
90 Audi 100q

Checked by AVG Free Edition.