Refinishing Alloy Wheels

Thu Feb 22 00:38:42 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/21/2007 9:52:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
quattro-request at writes:

Just  found out I can get my old wheels refinished through work,  but am
concerned  about one aspect.  They will burn  off  the old paint using an
oven that
gets to 800 degrees.  The wheels  then get cleaned and powder  coated.  My
question is will  the  burn off affect the strength of the wheel at all.
supposed experts on another list  tell of horror stories like wheel  strength
roundness being compromised from  heating aluminum  alloys.  My tech  staff
work disagrees, just wondering if  anyone else has any experiences they
like to  share.

The best I can offer is that is how my local powder coater does it. They've
been doing it for years. Although recently, he mentioned that he is sand
blasting first. I was more interested in questioning whether the plastic  would
"fill" after the blasting and forgot to ask why he wasn't burning it off.  Might
be food for thought.
I had the ancient steel rigging from my rowing shell powder coated last
year. I remember that they burned those off.
I have a hydraulic straightener for alloy wheels. They need to be heated,
the manufacturer recommends nothing more than a propane torch for heating. I
recall that aluminum molecules do "re align" at fairly low temperatures. But, I
have no idea what that temperature is.
P.S. The price is $25.00 per wheel, plus $10.00 for the sand blasting.  There
isn't much to "discount" there.
Tom Faust