Changing the coolant in a 5k is a pita ..

Ben Swann benswann at
Fri May 25 09:48:36 EDT 2007

You are a genious!

[Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:59:12 -0400

From: "Cody Forbes" <cody at>

Subject: Re: Changing the coolant in a 5k is a pita plus long rant

To: <quattro at>

cobram at wrote:

> Suggestions and comments on this thread are all good ideas.  Now that

> it's summer, just fill with water, drive around with windows open and

> heater on, dump water and keep doing this until what you get out is

> pretty much clean water.  Then run a flush through, and do the same

> thing until you're sure all the flush is gone and you're back to

> "pure" H2O. Dump from bottom rad hose and fill with 100% good ole

> green, should take about a gallon.  The block and nooks and crannies

> hold about half the coolant, even with the bottom hose off.

Wy not use the electric coolant pump? Disconnect the input hose, run a line to
a bucket of water (pure or otherwise as you see fit) and connect it to the
pump inlet, then the hose from the engine that used to be connected to the
pump run to another bucket. You could just watch the clarity and do it in one
sitting, unless I'm totally off base and the flow isn't right.

-Cody Forbes <>

'87 5ktq - Fast.

'86 5ktqCD

'86 5k