Coolant expansion tank connector

Alan Page alan at
Tue Jan 8 10:26:38 PST 2008

Hello all,

I've had a slow coolant leak for a couple of months on my '94 S4, and
after a long, hot drive I found the problem: The hose going to the top
of the coolant expansion tank was leaking  steam, and if I moved it
back and forth I could get more or less leakage. I thought that the
hose clamp was just loose, but I couldn't tighten it because it's one
of the crimped ones.

When I took off the clamp and the hose, there was a bunch of grit
(broken plastic) in the hose and the end of the nipple is missing on
the tank. See a photo of it here:

Is the nipple supposed to have a thicker bit at the end to form a
tight seal when clamped? Is there any way to get a good seal with a
connector that looks like this, or should I just get a new expansion

alan page
flaming logos design
alan at
'90 80