Out-of-State Car Transport

Taka Mizutani t44tqtro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:16:09 PDT 2008

I've seen transit tags from nearly every state. These are temporary tags
issued in the state of sale for the new owner until he/she can get the car
registered in his/her home state.

I would ask your local car dealership (esp. if you have a relationship with
one) for advice, see if they can at least point you in the right direction.
Have you tried calling the DMV rather than just checking their website?

I wouldn't let someone drive around on my tags- I did that by accident and
it was a pain to get the tags back.


On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM, mkb <mkb125 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm sure some of you have bought and sold cars to or from out-of-state
> buyers.  I'm in the process of selling an Audi A4 to someone in NY.  I live
> in VA.  Once a bill of sale and title are exchanged, is there a way for the
> buyer to drive the car back to his home state?
> I checked the VA and NY DMV sites.  I found that Virginia offers a trip
> permit but only for in-state residents or for folks who will register there
> vehicle in Virginia.  I didn't find anything on the NY DMV site - yet.
> I guess the buyer could tow the vehicle back but if I were in the buyers
> position, I'd rather drive back so that I could check the vehicle out
> properly.  I could also let the buyer drive off with my plates but this
> would be the least desirable option and have an agreement that the buyer
> mail the plates back once he got to his destination.
> Any experiences?
> --
> mohammed
> 97 a4 18tqa
> 03 a4 30qa (almost sold)
> _______________________________________________
> quattro mailing list
> quattro at audifans.com
> http://www.audifans.com/mailman/listinfo/quattro
> ---
> Watch this space for ads :)

More information about the quattro mailing list