Out-of-State Car Transport

Ed Kellock ekellock at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:28:38 PDT 2008

I have bought 4 vehicles from out of state and done nothing special in terms
of "in transit" concerns.  I know there are official procedures, but I
haven't bothered and haven't had a problem.  Wasn't stopped of course, but
if I had been I had bill of sale and title, endorsed to me, in hand in case
I was.  I may have ended up in a big hassle, but maybe I was just lucky.
One, from CT to SC, I just handed over the money and drove away, going up to
the Mt Washington Hillclimb race that weekend before returning to SC.
Another, from SC to CO, I didn't even have plates on it for the trip home.
I think that was very lucky.  Another from CA to CO, picked it up and drove
home after we stopped off at the Auto Club which does registration stuff in
CA to make sure we signed everything appropriately and to allow the seller
to file the CA release of ownership which shows that the previous owner did
in fact transfer ownership to the buyer in case the buyer never registers.
The last one was from a dealer in CA.  I had intended to fly and drive, and
that necessitated that I register the car in CA with my CO address, a
requirement so they get their sales tax money.  I ended up having the car
shipped after all and fortunately, CO gave me credit for the sales tax paid
in CA.  I'm pretty sure I paid more sales tax in CA than I would have in CO,
but no refund from CO was offered.  ;-)

I'm sure there are lots of reasons not to do what I have done, from both
ends of the transaction, but that's my story.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: quattro-bounces at audifans.com 
> [mailto:quattro-bounces at audifans.com] On Behalf Of Taka Mizutani
> Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:16 PM
> To: mkb
> Cc: quattro at audifans.com
> Subject: Re: Out-of-State Car Transport
> I've seen transit tags from nearly every state. These are 
> temporary tags issued in the state of sale for the new owner 
> until he/she can get the car registered in his/her home state.
> I would ask your local car dealership (esp. if you have a 
> relationship with
> one) for advice, see if they can at least point you in the 
> right direction. Have you tried calling the DMV rather than 
> just checking their website?
> I wouldn't let someone drive around on my tags- I did that by 
> accident and it was a pain to get the tags back.
> Taka
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM, mkb <mkb125 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm sure some of you have bought and sold cars to or from 
> out-of-state 
> > buyers.  I'm in the process of selling an Audi A4 to 
> someone in NY.  I 
> > live in VA.  Once a bill of sale and title are exchanged, 
> is there a 
> > way for the buyer to drive the car back to his home state?
> >
> > I checked the VA and NY DMV sites.  I found that Virginia offers a 
> > trip permit but only for in-state residents or for folks who will 
> > register there vehicle in Virginia.  I didn't find anything 
> on the NY 
> > DMV site - yet.
> >
> > I guess the buyer could tow the vehicle back but if I were in the 
> > buyers position, I'd rather drive back so that I could check the 
> > vehicle out properly.  I could also let the buyer drive off with my 
> > plates but this would be the least desirable option and have an 
> > agreement that the buyer mail the plates back once he got to his 
> > destination.
> >
> > Any experiences?
> >
> > --
> > mohammed
> > 97 a4 18tqa
> > 03 a4 30qa (almost sold)
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > quattro mailing list
> > quattro at audifans.com 
> http://www.audifans.com/mailman/listinfo/quattro
> > ---
> > Watch this space for ads :)
> >
> _______________________________________________
> quattro mailing list
> quattro at audifans.com http://www.audifans.com/mailman/listinfo/quattro
> ---
> Watch this space for ads :)
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG. 
> Version: 8.0.101 / Virus Database: 270.4.3/1528 - Release 
> Date: 7/1/2008 7:26 AM

More information about the quattro mailing list