Out-of-State Car Transport

Mark R speedracer.mark at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:49:58 PDT 2008

NY has NO temporary or transport tags provision (like almost every other
state does) for residents to bring in a vehicle.  The car must be registered
and titled.... which means the transaction will be complete by then.  To
move a car from NY, they do have a provision in place, which oddly isn't
recognized by Massachusetts!

So his/her choices:
Tow it (which is what I do- I'm in Binghamton, NY).
Complete the transaction by mail, apply for title and register it, and bring
the plates with him/her.
Run on your plates and insurance.  Not something I would allow if it were my
car being sold.  Too much liability.

Mark Rosenkrantz

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM, mkb <mkb125 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm sure some of you have bought and sold cars to or from out-of-state
> buyers.  I'm in the process of selling an Audi A4 to someone in NY.  I live
> in VA.  Once a bill of sale and title are exchanged, is there a way for the
> buyer to drive the car back to his home state?
> I checked the VA and NY DMV sites.  I found that Virginia offers a trip
> permit but only for in-state residents or for folks who will register there
> vehicle in Virginia.  I didn't find anything on the NY DMV site - yet.
> I guess the buyer could tow the vehicle back but if I were in the buyers
> position, I'd rather drive back so that I could check the vehicle out
> properly.  I could also let the buyer drive off with my plates but this
> would be the least desirable option and have an agreement that the buyer
> mail the plates back once he got to his destination.
> Any experiences?
> --
> mohammed
> 97 a4 18tqa
> 03 a4 30qa (almost sold)
> _______________________________________________
> quattro mailing list
> quattro at audifans.com
> http://www.audifans.com/mailman/listinfo/quattro
> ---
> Watch this space for ads :)

More information about the quattro mailing list