Do I need to replace door lock?

Kneale Brownson knealeski at
Mon Jul 28 05:30:54 PDT 2008

The kit to repair the broken potmetal piece on the inner end of the lock includes a new lock cylinder because the stamped metal replacement piece has a different sized opening for where it slips over the part of the cylinder that turns when the key is inserted.  You transfer your springs and pins from the OEM cylinder to the new one as part of the process.

Al Streicher <streichea001 at> wrote:  I have a broken link or carrier that connects to the locking mechanism.
After reading several good repair articles, Huw's and Chris Miller's, I am
confused about needing to also replace the lock cylinder. I guess that new
is better than the old one, but is it necessary?

You opinions please.

1990 80 Non-Q Blk

quattro mailing list
quattro at