What is the putty like coating used on the Audi rocker panels?

Geraint Lloyd geraintlloyd_qc at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 28 13:09:52 PDT 2008

I have always known it as seam sealer or mastic

AFAIK there are spread on and spray on seam sealers, but to spray it you
need to be set up for that. When using the stuff, follow the safety
precautions (masks etc) but also use a hat as it is a total b at stard to get
out of your hair......

I did the inner arches and parts of the floor of the golf with this in 2005,
and it still looks solid. It seems like the approach is to put a lot where
the fender attaches to the shell, then bolt the fender on so that it kind of
bonds it as well.


-----Original Message-----
From: quattro-bounces at audifans.com [mailto:quattro-bounces at audifans.com] On
Behalf Of syljay
Sent: 28 March 2008 16:20
To: quattro at audifans.com
Subject: What is the putty like coating used on the Audi rocker panels?

I'm de-rusting a junkyard fender which will replace my damaged front 

On the lower surface of the fender and on the lower inside, Audi used 
some kind of putty sealant to protect the metal. The stuff is 
semi-hard and is still flexible.

This stuff reminds me of the Phenoseal stuff I used to cover cracks, 
etc before painting wood or walls in the house.

I want to get this stuff to protect the lower fender and the inside 
bottom of the fender.

I think body shops use something similar to seal seams and fill gaps 
in places that are not cosmetically important.
And, this stuff can be painted over.

Any body know what this stuff is? Got a trade name for the stuff?

SJ in NJ
quattro mailing list
quattro at audifans.com
Watch this space for ads :)

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr! 


More information about the quattro mailing list