Manual conversion on '94 A4 V6

urq urq at
Mon May 19 00:40:06 PDT 2008

Transaxles seem to be the least of the worries ... my experience with
investigating the job on a T44 was that the floor pan has a wider bulge for
the transmission, I think that by beating it down enough I could work the 3
pedal box in there ... of course I'm thinking LHD.  The two things I didn't
think about were the shifter mount differences and the exhaust system

Given the idea is to build up a racer, cosmetics shouldn't be an issue, so
it should be quite doable ...

Steve B
San José, CA (USA)

-----Original Message-----
From: quattro-bounces at [mailto:quattro-bounces at] On
Behalf Of Tony Hoffman
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:18 PM
To: Duncan Thomson
Cc: quattro at
Subject: Re: Manual conversion on '94 A4 V6

As far as I've seen it should be that simple. Having said that, I've
never actually had two of them here (parted) at the same time. I know
the V8Q's use different floor pans for auto vs manual. So, that could
also be a possibility. I'd be willing to bet you will at least need
the top of the trans tunnel where the manual shifter attaches.

Perhaps someone out there with a bit more experience?

Tony Hoffman