Hydraulic Lifters

Max Hoepli mhoepli at vif.com
Tue May 27 16:57:30 PDT 2008

The mechanic was hearing the hydraulic lifters, a light tapping noise. He
was the first person ever to point that out to me. He saw me for the first
time in 20 years. My regular mechanic never mentioned anything about that

Once the car made a louder metal on metal tapping noise, my regular mechanic
put a long handle screwdriver to alternator and ear to end of screwdriver,
diagnosed noise as a faulty bearing in the alternator. He was right, didn't
make that any more after a new alternator was installed.

1986 Turbo Quattro Type 44