apparent lean running issue?

David M. Yentema yentemad at
Mon Nov 10 18:57:13 PST 2008

hmm... can't say that i have. how would i got about doing that?
----- Original Message -----
From: "LL - NY" <larrycleung at>
To: "Dave Yentema" <yentemad at>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:17:20 PM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: apparent lean running issue?

Did you check the igloo for leaks. They're kind of hard to find.

On 11/10/08, Dave Yentema < yentemad at > wrote:

OK well, I've got every vacuum leak that I know of taken care of, just put a
new VC gasket on, replaced 90% of my vac lines (the rest I know are fine),
put a new o-ring on my oil dipstick, new oil filler cap, silicone breather
hoses from 034, etc. I wish I had a WB 02, but my narrowband shows a
definate trend of running lean. At idle sometimes it'l wobble back and forth
around stoich, going slightly(like one "bar") rich which is the way I had
originally set it. But most of the time it bounces slightly lean to high
stoich, sometimes rich, and the idle surges as it changed. When I first hit
the gas to accelarate, it'll snap down so lean its not on the gauge and then
come back up, bouncing from like 3 bars of lean to 1 bar of rich, while
spending more time in lean. Under full throttle it'll go rich like it
should, but the second I let off the slightest bit it'll start bouncing lean
again even under boost!!!. on decel(letting my foot off completely from
doing like 50) the exhaust pops irradically, and the gauge is all over the
place but likes to hang out in the rich area( my car's an autobox, so no
decel valve) I felt it miss twice the other day under mild accelaration. I
was thinking perhaps it was my injectors/seals because for a while I had a
leaky VC gasket, so maybe the seals got soaked with oil and got destroyed.
Any suggestions are awesome

Oh yea, its a 87 5ktcs

quattro mailing list
quattro at
Watch this space for ads :)

David M. Yentema
Rider University Racing with Embraced Vehicle Design(RUREVD)