fool crunch

Brett Dikeman brett at
Mon Sep 29 23:14:04 PDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:12 AM, Huw Powell wrote:

> Again, I'd prefer to "dodge" the accident.  I'll take a ditch over a
> tree and tree over another moving vehicle anytime.

Trees are among the most dangerous objects you can hit- they're
extremely immovable and unyielding...and usually have a fraction of
the surface area compared to a vehicle coming at you.  They're like an
offset crash, only much worse; readily capable of cleaving a car in

I suppose the tree is the more selfless choice, but in very general
terms of personal survival concerning only the immediate collision,
you're better hitting that other car head-on as squarely as possible.
You want the most surface area to spread the energy of the crash
against, and the softest object possible to hit.