battery drain

Kent McLean kentmclean at
Sun Apr 5 17:32:05 PDT 2009

To troubleshoot a battery drain, I charged up the battery in my
'91 200 20V.  I reinstalled the battery. I attached the negative
(ground) cable to the battery negative and left the positive cable
free. I then attached my digital volt meter (DVM) probes between
the battery positive and the positive cable, to see what the
battery drain might be.  I tried all 3 m.amp settings (2000u,
200m, and 20m) and couldn't get a reading -- the DVM showed 0 on
all 3 settings.

Not being an EE, am I doing this right?
Should I see a reading?
Could I have burnt out the m.amp reading?

I swapped the DVM probes for m.amps rather than the Ohms position
they had been in.  The voltage part of the DVM still works.

Kent McLean
1999 A4 Avant, V6 Tiptronic
1991 200 TQA #3, with mods
soon-to-be-mine 1990 V8 w/5-speed and other mods
gone: '91 200 TQA x2, '94 100 S Avant, '89 200 TQ