OEM wheels flaking; bead leaks

Mark R speedracer.mark at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 11:24:32 PST 2009

I've seen this quite a bit on the OEM painted rims.

New or used rims.
Lightly sand the bead by hand and repaint with Wurth.
Strip and repaint entire rim.
Strip and powdercoat.

Stripping should be done with something non-abrasive, like sodablasting,
plastic media, walnut shells, etc.  Several wheel repair shops will perform
the entire service for you as well.

Mark Rosenkrantz (who has a powdercoating line oven for production parts at