Subject: SAFE radidio

John Lagnese jlagnese at
Wed Jun 24 20:12:42 PDT 2009

There is a harness available. You need to splice in some RCA plugs. It runs
from a pre-amp output. IIRC its generally listed for a Passat.

-----Original Message-----
From: quattro-bounces at [mailto:quattro-bounces at] On
Behalf Of cobram at
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:18 AM
To: tom at
Cc: quattro at
Subject: Re: Subject: SAFE radidio

It's a bit more involved than popping in a new head unit.  To replace the
Delta unit you have to rewire the whole system, remove and replace the
Bose Amps and speakers with something that will fit in the door pods and
deck shelf.
More important though, you lose the cool instrument cluster display. ;-)
The anti-theft scheme is present in just about all head units of this
vintage.  AFAIK, of the Audi's, only the Wiesbaden turns into a doorstop
that can't be soft coded.

I enjoy escargot, but I prefer fast food.

 tom at writes:
> Given the fact that the Delta radio doesn't (as far as I know) have
> an aux
> port for an iPod or other mp3 player, why the hell would you want to
> use
> one anyhow? And I keep hearing about the SAFE mode screwing up
> functionality so much that an aftermarket unit seems a complete
> no-brainer. I mean, it's not like having the OEM unit adds value to
> the
> car. Or am I wrong about this?
> Just my $0.02.
> Tom '96 S6 avant (with enough tunes to travel cross country and not
> listen
> to the same song twice)

quattro mailing list