4kq exhaust replacement woes

Huw Powell audi at humanspeakers.com
Sun Sep 20 14:07:13 PDT 2009

Christopher G. Mason wrote:
> So inspection is overdue on the ye olde 1987 Audi 4kq and the crappy
> rear ANSA muffler is pretty much toast. To address the issue for good I
> managed to score a full cat back Stebro SS exhaust for $200. The problem
> I'm having is installation. Searching the archives reveals that using a
> hacksaw or Sawzall is a preferred way to attack the rusted blobs that
> were nuts and bolts where the center section meets the cat. Problem is,
> how the heck does one get at the TOP nut and bolt, there is zero room
> here.

Use a longer sawzall blade? (see below)

> Needless to say, stainless steel hardware is going in its place,
> which brings another question. How does one easily get at the bolts that
> join the center and rear sections (over the rear axle) to tighten them up?

In my experience, a lot of these hard-to-get-to three bolt setups are
between two "floating" flanges, so after the two "easy" bolts are out,
the flanges can be rotated to get to the last one.  Installation similar.

But I don't have a 4kq cat to look at and see if that is correct.  You
might need to remove the cat from the downpipe to get access.

Huw Powell