clunker list

Dan DiBiase d_dibiase at
Wed Sep 23 05:25:34 PDT 2009

I think it is actually both - they seize up the engine locally, then have the car shipped out to be crushed. There are
plenty of depressing videos on youtube that show car dealers destroying the engines.

 Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

From: Tony Hoffman <auditony at>
To: audi at
Cc: quattro <quattro at>
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:10:45 AM
Subject: Re: clunker list

Actually, it's the carcass that has to be destroyed. A local friend of
mine with a salvage yeard is going to be buying them by the 100, and
parting them out. The catch is, he has to provide proof of destruction
of the vehicle carrying each VIN within a certain amount of time. I
didn't catch what the time frame is.

Some of these have also made it to the Copart list, so they can quite
often be bought through a reseller. However, with the destruction
requirements, I'm not too sure what the catch of the resellers might
be. You would have to contact them to find out specifics.