[s-cars] News Flash: S-car chosen for robbery get-away car

Dave Forgie forgied at direct.ca
Mon Aug 23 03:03:40 EDT 2004

We'll have to wait for more details from our Scandanavian listers but
from what I saw on the late news Sunday night, an S-car avant was chosen
by thieves who staged an armed robbery of Edvard Munch's famous painting
"The Scream" in Oslo on Sunday.

The black avant was debadged (it could just be a 100 or A6) but had 17"
Bolero's and a Kamei-type grill.  I assume it was stolen because of its
potential for speed as well as the convenience of the large loading room
in the back.

On sort of a  side note, when I lived in Norway for 3 months in 1986, I
learned that many luxury cars in Norway were imported as "trucks" to get
around punishing import taxes.  As long as these vehicles had a loading
space of something like 1.5 m and no back seat,  the qualified as
"trucks" and paid much less duty.  As a result, there were lots of
Mercedes wagons, big Citroen wagons, etc. in Oslo when I was there - all
with their back seats bolted down flat.  There was even one story about
a 911 Porsche "truck" (I never saw the car).  Perhaps this still goes on
and the S-car avant getaway car was really a Norske "truck".  ;>)

Shades of  Ronin.

Dave F.