[s-cars] RE: The Great Coolant Debate

Gabriel Caldwell gabriel at ts.bc.ca
Thu Jul 8 14:33:50 EDT 2004

Hmmmmmm but the impeller on the water pump is not plastic, or at least
it shouldn't be.  I run G12 (pink) in my S4 and DexCool (orange) in my
90.  The reason I have DexCool in the 90 is because I had a bad radiator
that used to throw the hose off on occasion and it was easier to find
DexCool than G11 or G12.  I now have a new radiator but see no reason to
change from DexCool as I did a proper flush before I installed it and
its silicate and phosphate free.  I did a quadruple flush before
installing the G12 in my S4 and I've had no problems so far.  The temp
gauge is always where it should be.  On another note I hear that VW is
developing a new coolant that is compatible with blue, pink and green.
Supposedly it will be purple.

Gabriel Caldwell