[s-cars] Re: Coolant temperature sensor fault causing low boost

Brett Dikeman brett at cloud9.net
Sat Jul 10 22:21:24 EDT 2004

At 10:02 PM -0400 7/10/04, TM wrote:

>Now following the radiator replacement, I've found that I still
>have a low boost problem after the engine is hot- pulled codes
>and found coolant temperature sensor, intermittent fault.
>Doing the Bentley diagnostic, it seems like the multifunction temp
>sensor is fine, this doesn't really make sense.

It's referring to a different sensor- back of the block, towards the
passenger side, is the ECU's coolant temp sensor.  It's used
primarily(I think) for timing and initial starting- not sure on
either of those, SJM's site probably covers exact functionality.  If
it fails, the ECU assumes worst case scenario- maximum measurable

On the NA 20v cars, the connector contacts get pulled out, so that
might be worth a check, as might a spritz of contact cleaner.

Oh, also, occasionally someone finds the plugs mixed up since there
are multiple 2-pin connectors there.  The intermittent code probably
means the right plug is in the sensor, but if you're feeling extra
paranoid, check the wire colors against the diagrams.