[s-cars] intermittent hard start

David Cahill david.cahill at alum.dartmouth.org
Fri Mar 31 09:13:15 EST 2006

I had the same issue - intermittent hard start, usually while cold but
somewhat unpredictable. I narrowed it down to two culprits: fuel pressure
regulator and insufficient voltage at the fuel pump. My hypothesis was that
(a) the FPR wasn't supplying enough fuel at start-up, or
(b) the fuel pump wasn't receiving enough voltage to quickly build fuel

Note that this problem didn't occur when the car had been driven recently,
since there was still sufficient fuel pressure remaining. In essence, the
symptoms were the exact opposite of a bad CPS/Hall sender.

I replaced the FPR and my battery (needed a new one anyway) and the problem
went away.

I am not an electrical guru, so perhaps someone else could better explain
the diagnostic procedure.

Let us know what happens.