[s-cars] Driveshaft service (was Got a new sound)
wd42 at hevanet.com
Sun Mar 16 19:12:17 PDT 2008
Sounds like there are a few of us with suspected driveshaft problems, so
I'll share what I've found out:
- Blau sells a ready to install center bearing for about $200.
- Blau sells a complete rebuild kit (all u-joints and center bearing) for
- Audi doesn't sell the parts. They want to sell you a complete driveshaft.
- It's possible to use a BMW center bearing with cutting and welding.
- SJM has a Mercedes center bearing that also requires cutting and welding
(catalog items K1030-16080 and K1040-100111).
- To do the job right you need to fabricate an alignment jig.
- There's a good thread about this at
- If you need to replace parking brake cable(s), this is the time to do it.
Other tips are appreciated.
More information about the S-CAR-List