[s-cars] rebuilt alternator

Varon H. Fugman vfugman at globaldialog.com
Thu Feb 19 05:44:36 PST 2009

Anybody used either a Hi Test or Autoline brand rebuilt alternator?

The Hi Test and Autoline are both around $140, a rebuilt unit from NAPA is
$189, or a rebuilt Bosch is in the $250 price range.

(I was trying to find a replacement voltage regulator, but haven’t been able
to locate one with the same Bosch part number or find an equivalent that I’m
confident is correct.  With the non-returnability of electrical parts, I
don’t want to gamble on a regular that “might” fit.  Apparently, there was a
mid-year model change in alternators--and thus regulators—which complicates

With 180k miles on the original, I’m not opposed to replacing the entire
alternator in the pursuit of long-term reliability.

’95 S6 failing CPS, leaking J-hose, bad alternator

Checked by AVG.
8:57 AM