[s-cars] Radio & iPod upgrades

Bill Mahoney wmahoney at disk.com
Fri Sep 11 12:07:58 PDT 2009

Hey Matt,

It's been so long since I did this I forget the mechanics of it all.  But,
basically I intercepted the audio from the CD player, and installed an A B
switch to chose between CD and Ipod / iphone.

I used this to make the connection between the Bose and the ipod.

The beauty of this device is that in addition to charging, there is a
headphone jack where I spliced the audio out from the ipod and made the
connection to the switch mentioned above.

Subsequent to this fine adaption, the newer  3G and 3GS phones now use USB
(5volts) instead of Firewire (10/12Volts?) for charging . so I had to cobble
together this..

This is all hidden behind the dash and then I got this USB dock extension to
the iphone so that only one connector needs to come out front to make the

m5633d1bdd6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14> &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

There may be a more elegant way to do this now. but the headphone jack on is
an easy way to tap into the audio and I don't know of a new charger adapter
that has this feature.

I have a 3GS and the "Pandora " application works great!  Like free
satellite radio.

I have also integrated a Bluetooth Sony HCB 30 for hands free calling which
also works great but that's for another thread sometime.

Good luck!

Bill~no more CD's~M