[torsen] Re: [s-cars] Not the last Torsen note I guess

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 09:54:06 EST 2000

In a message dated 12/1/00 11:36:59 AM Central Standard Time,
panneton at xilinx.com writes:

> Steven Searle wrote:
>
>  > Could you achieve this torque split by running wheels with slightly
>  > different rolling diameters front and rear?
>
>  Bingo!  With a torsen  center diff...
>
>  Russ.

Audi did it.  That said, you create more heat the more you try to fool the
gears.  Graydon spoke with a T engineer, and found that the shims can be
modified to allow a specific torque split.  Given that audi only sells the
diff as a unit, you will be into some big money to do this.  The tire thing
is the easiest to do, however, I doubt you can acheive predictability by tire
swap alone.  Audi didn't.