[torsen] Re: [s-cars] Center diffs on dirt

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 10:54:04 EST 2000

Ok Dave, all exceptions so noted (mercy).  The facts remain to this day, that
the lockers are consistently faster than T*, on dirt or pavement.  StigB
didn't use the T* cars, and beat WR in Drivers Points in '85, and won
outright the drivers championship in 84.  WR also used some specially tweeked
T* units, to make them 'work' for 1 single win, as you noted.  WR is also on
record that he didn't care for the T units, and StigB is also on record with
the same comments.  Er, hello?

Interesting too, the Audisport spec'd 1995 FIA S2 rally car I service doesn't
have a center T unit in the parts bin (the logbook only shows a swap time for
the center diff, but it's always locked), but no less than 6options for the
front and rear (driver preference).

All notations the contrary so noted, what comes forth in all these anecdotes
is the stopwatch, it's the objective measure of all this BS.  I enjoy hearing
of quicker turn-in Oversteer, etc...  Unfortunately, Lawson's interviews
certainly indicate that this is a non discussion, as championships are still
won with the old tried and true, Motorola Cup 2000, or WRC in 1984.  WR is
talented, but it would appear *objectively* that even he couldn't get a real
handle on the predictability.

Bottom Line:  The U from locked diffs is more predictable v T, which makes
the *consistently faster* rally or track.

Lovin the anecdotes, it sure is tough to explain Motorola/Speedvision
results(?).  And tough to come to Steamboat and prove the contrary.

SJ