[torsen] Torsen torque split clarification

Graydon D. Stuckey graydon at apollo.kettering.edu
Mon Dec 4 11:16:03 EST 2000

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 qshipq at aol.com wrote:

> Audi did it.  That said, you create more heat the more you try to fool the
> gears.  Graydon spoke with a T engineer, and found that the shims can be
> modified to allow a specific torque split.  Given that audi only sells the

Just to clarify that, the engineer told me that you could change the
torque _bias_ which as I understand it is the ability of the diff to
transfer torque to the loaded wheel.  As it is, it is a fairly light duty
torque bias to preserve smoothness in everyday driving in a luxury car.
If you increase the friction in the gears though, you can get it to act
more like a racing differential, yet retain a fair amount of smoothness
that most racing diffs don't have.

It was _my_ opinion that if you adjusted the friction unequally (front vs
rear), you could achieve a static torque bias to the rear so that more
torque goes to the rear under all conditions.  That might stop the
instability of the centre torsen a little.  I'd sure like to try it.

Sincerely,
Graydon D. Stuckey
'86 RX7 Turbo II 2+2  ---FOR SALE---
'89 Thunderbird SC ---FOR SALE---