[torsen] Re: Not the last Torsen note I guess

urquattro urquattro at phoenixdsl.com
Tue Dec 5 01:12:03 EST 2000

> VC is the only way to accomplish this or a custom torsen, but either way,
> only the beginning of your problems, and from a practical engineering
> standpoint, the locker is simpler, more bulletproof and cheaper.  What
about
> your edl, your 4 channel abs and your open rear diff?

... seems to me  the 959 and others used clutch packs to implement a
variable F:R torque split ...

... I would by no means consider myself an expert on this stuff, but I
thought I remembered hearing that the ABS and EDL algorithms treated each
axle independently ... if that were indeed the case it wouldn't matter what
the center diff was doing ...

The V8 also has a torsen in the rear diff position ... if they generate so
much heat it seems to me that there is more differentiation going on in the
rear diff app.  I haven't heard anything with regards to reliability of the
rear torsen on the v8s ... AAMOF, IME they are dirt cheap used because there
is so little call for them ...

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)