[torsen] Re: [s-cars] static torque bias

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Wed Dec 6 15:43:10 EST 2000

The Helix gears are not available separately from audi.  A 54% rear torque
bias only solves a static chassis torque, dynamically it hasn't really solved
anything, in fact...  My .02 on this reason for change, is that the S4tt has
the absolute worst quattro f/r static balance, of 60f/40r.  A slight shift to
the rear statically might give a slightly better turn in response with a nose
heavy car (give the 'feel' of less understeer, but let's not confuse this
with O), and also most likely lowers the front shift torque in a turn, then
traction scenario.  At RA this past September, my experience wasn't so
enamoring, S4tt on rumble strips are nightmarish.

Speaking of weight bias in quattros, a close, but interesting second (worst
weight bias), the street SQ @ 59f/41.

I also might note that Dave Lawson and I both have tried to find more data on
the new S4 center diff in terms of published bias ratio.  Anyone know for
sure what the F&R torque shift limits really are?

SJ