[torsen] Re: [s-cars] static torque bias

Graydon D. Stuckey graydon at apollo.kettering.edu
Fri Dec 8 08:20:04 EST 2000

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Theodore Chen wrote:

> they're the ones who made the differential, and in fact, their
> "University Special" sold to Formula SAE teams is very similar to
> the audi center differentials (main difference is that the audi unit
> is driven by a splined shaft rather than a ring gear).  torsen 1 was
> used until 1995, and then the torsen 2 became the OEM center differential.

Back in the 'old days' they supplied a 200Q centre diff which had no ring
gear flange.  We had to make a ring gear flange.  IIRC, I think that the
V8 5-sp was also listed as using the same center Torsen diff.

> it would be simpler to change the torque bias by changing the gearing
> in the rear differential.  i don't know what the rear differential looks
> like, but assuming it's a ring and pinion, you could change those to
> change the front to rear bias.

That's not the "right" thing to do though because then even when
cruising, you would be wearing out the torsen.

> FYI, torsen sells the university special at $360 to FSAE teams, compared
> to the $1600 that the audi dealer would charge.

They used to _give_ it away for free.

> that is the basic problem - weight distribution.  the engine
> sits in front of the front axle, which is a big hose from a
> handling standpoint.

Therein is the biggest problem with Audis and Porsche 911s.  It does make
for great packaging for AWD though.

Later,
Graydon D. Stuckey
Check out the Garage Sale at...