[torsen] Re: [s-cars] S2 Rally Car transmission

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Sat Nov 4 07:50:02 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/3/00 2:00:41 PM Central Standard Time,
s4audinut at aol.com writes:

> The diff. in an s4 is a torsen, which for a non race car (and some race
cars)

>  is about as good as it gets. If I remember correctly a Quaffe is
essentially

>  a torsen. I have seen cutaways of both and thought them the same. I think
>  that Torsen is a shortening of torque sensing  tor-sen and Quaffe is the
> name
>  of a man or company???

Torsen is short for torque sensing differential.  The original working device
of the torsen was marketed thru Torsen-Gleason, which has since been bought
out and is called Zexel Gleason.  The quaife operates on the same idea (no
plates, worm type LSD), but is independent in engineering application to the
Torsen.

>I have never seen anyone w/Quaffe Audi diffs, but
>  talked to Hans Kluge(?) in Germany who did the gearing for the bib boys
and
>  he said he could do any ratios in any style diff (including) Quaffe
locking
>  or torsen if I had the requisite wad of cash $$.

There is a bunch of technical discussions and documentation on the Torsen
available in the audifans archives (good luck wading thru it to find the good
stuff, but it's there).  The torsen can be modified with shims to change or
bias the F/R balance of the device.  Not many really do this, because even
audi found better devices when it comes to racing (way back in 1985 they
ditched it for the lockers in the Sport q road cars).  The BTCC cars *all*
used VC's, several articles are written on the lockups, but by the end of the
second championship year, only the 55r/45f and 65r/35f VC were used in europe
(depending on venue).

>I assume it can be done,
> but  in my exp. of trying to build a stronger than avg. engine you are
probably
> on your own and would have to get the help of someone like Hans Kluge to
sort
> it out, especially if only one of a set were put in. I imagine any listers
with
>  race building experience could answer this question better.
>  Rod

Not sure what it is we are trying to do, I presume you to be speaking of the
center diff (since that's the only torsen in the S cars anyhow).  For
ultimate track handling, a locked center is better and cheaper than messing
with torsen shims (even audis race teams do this).  For those looking for the
ultimate without spending huge sums, buy a torsen diff, have it welded, and
swap it into the car when you go to the track.  The only problem I see doing
this, is that the EDL and ABS would have to be disabled.  The actual swapping
of the torsen is relatively easy.

If one was to contact a german (or any other source) for a center diff
application, I'd make sure to read all the BTCC articles first (and carefully
read Lawson's posted interviews), then speak with Hans und Franz about what
VC choices they might have to sell you.

HTH

Scott Justusson
A whole stable full o lockers