[torsen] Re: [s-cars] RE: uhoh

QSHIPQ at aol.com QSHIPQ at aol.com
Sun Nov 5 08:59:02 EST 2000

Dave:
So good to see you back!  Let's jump forward the 15years and put this in
perspective for the new millenium. Summed:   In 20years of racing quattros,
in *ALL* chassis, audi can still win (see Lawson's recent posted interviews,
both you and Fletcher need to read his posts, not mine) using the tried and
true, ho hum, set of locked diffs C/R.  Nothing fancy mind you, let's just
weld the torsen unit solid.  The year?  2000 or 1982 ...  or anytime in
between?

WW and Mikkola could win races with 3 of 4 cylinders firing in a yugo (I
believe I have a quote similar to that in my articles somewhere).
Interesting you note the San Remo win, not too shabby for WW, except for the
fact that Salonen and the P205's took the driver/man championship in 1985
(Peugeots used VC's).  Audis 84 WRC champion - Blomqvist (who ran lockers - I
asked him personally) took second place in the drivers standings in 1985, WW
third (even with his San Remo win).  I also find your label of WW as a
"Champion" to bend the definition some.  WW won the drivers points in Rally
in 1982 while driving for Opel, not audi.  Although still a audi god to me,
he was never Drivers Champion in an audi.  FYI:
1982 - Driver Champion - Rohl/Opel
1983 - Driver Champion - Mikkola/Audi
1984 - Driver Champion - Blomqvist/Audi
1985 - Driver Champion - Solonen/Puegeot

That said, certainly the "documentation" of using this LSD devices in the
center is hard to find, at best.  Heck (no offense), it took you 3+ years to
get not even a handful of examples

I really think what's key here is what Lawson found out in his travels.
After extensive testing on the newest S4 chassis, locked diffs were found to
be not only exceptable, but championship winning devices.  I believe Lawson
interviewed all the factory teams at Vegas, all with the same answer.  What
reasonable conclusions do we draw?

Looking at the above and the below, let me quote you Dave:
"audi clearly didn't use torsen's exclusively in their racing efforts.  why
should they? "  The series and year?  Motorola Cup -2000

Please, if you have something to share, the torsen list is very much alive,
and would love to hear your message.  There's no pissing contest Dave, locked
diffs can still win, and consistently, *IN* audis latest chassis, designed
for torsens.  Reasonable conclusions?

Scott Justusson

n a message dated 11/5/00 12:53:21 AM Central Standard Time,